Forest trees and their root fungi share resources and information. The plant makes and delivers food to the fungus; the fungus increases the plant’s water and mineral absorptive powers. Trees of different species can communicate with and support one another via their mycorrhizae.
It is known, that plants can communicate with unrelated species through the air. Plants getting chomped by herbivores, eaten by insects or attacked by pathogens release volatile chemicals that are sensed by neighboring plants, who up their defenses pro-actively.
A plant-based diet is a diet of any animal (including humans) based on foods derived from plants, including vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruits, but with few or no animal products.
"Plant-based diet" has been used to refer to the following diets:
- Vegan diet - no food from animal sources.
- Fruitarian - consists primarily of fruit.
- Raw vegan - food is uncooked and sometimes dehydrated.
- Vegetarian - plant foods, may include eggs and dairy, but no meat.
- Ovo-lacto vegetarian - includes dairy and eggs.
- Ovo vegetarian - includes eggs but no dairy.
- Lacto vegetarian - includes dairy but no eggs.
- Pescatarian - diet with eggs, dairy and seafood.
- Semi-vegetarian - with occasional inclusion of meat.