Nishi Shiki was invented in 1927 by Katsuzō Nishi, the chief engineer for the Tokyo subway and an aikido teacher.
Most of my life I followed the first four rules every day, and substituted the rest with yoga asanas.
Laws of the Nishi Health System
- heisho (平床寝台) - sleep on a flat hard surface,
- kochin (硬枕利用) - with hard semi-cylindrical pillow,
- kingyo undō (金魚運動) - wing your hips horizontally like fish (1 minute),
- mōkan undō (毛管運動) - lie on your back and raise your arms and legs, then shake them (1 minute),
- gasshō gasseki undō (合掌合蹠運動) - lie on your back and join your hands and feet, then slide your hands and feet horizontally (10 times).
- hifuku undō (背腹運動) - sit down Japanese style and swing your upper body centering on your hips (10 minutes). When you are in inclined position, pump your abdomen, in upright position - shrink your abdomen.