Thank you for checking out Fruitarians.net!
If you are interested in the future of this site, please read the following public letter to possible participants and supporters:
Hi, my name is Lena, and I am a long-term vegan fruitarian, the founder of Fruitarians.net (the former International Fruitarian Network) - my attempt to provide an independent uniting platform for all people to tell about their ethical lifestyle choices, and to participate in the civil public debate.
I alone was responsible for the web development, managing and financing it without monetization of any kind. Without support, the task required more and more of my limited resources, and I put the development on hold.
If you are interested in realistic approach to fruitarianism and veganism, in ethical and environmental changes we can make, and in attracting people to an open conversation about these topics beyond looks and fitness, please help me to dedicate enough time to join the conversation in public videos, and to develop Fruitarians.net with new ideas.
Subjects I want to concentrate on:
- Diets high in fresh fruit and seeds,
- Inviting for everyone forms of ethical veganism,
- Using information accuired by scientific method, and experiences by other people for individual choice.
Some of you know me as one of the first critics of various versions of raw vegan diets like the one promoted by 30bananasaday.com (I was blocked from the site in 2010). I am also in disagreement with some elements of the mainstream vegan philosophy. Long before that and after, I actively participated in vegan communities, and organized multiple fruitarian discussion groups on various social sites. Most of the sites went down along the way, and the newer large vegan groups on big networks have low levels of participation.
In the recent years I was not active in vegan online communities, because I was disappointed in the directions they were developing, specifically with disinformation, anti-scientism, excessive commercialization, and concentration on looks and sport results. I could not find a platform where vegans and everyone else could discuss important relevant issues. I am still sad that vegetarian movement is not united in friendship or mutual respect.
- My minimal goal in vegan fruitarianism is to provide an example of a relatively successful vegan fruitarian.
- My small goal is to be a noticeable voice for ethical choices in life.
- My bigger goal and wish is to be a part of a team of good people, who maintain an open public video + speech + text + in person respectful dialogue, according to the best practices in argumentation.
- My big goal is to participate in a powerful and inclusive vegetarian movement.
- And the biggest goal is to have virtually no need to invest my time in popularisation of ethical choices, because most people already do their best and impact the rest of us: our laws, cultures and daily life.
I am a private person, practicing fruitarianism on her own. I am neither nutritionist nor a doctor, my academic training is in economics. This is the reason I do not give any advice about health or nutrition when asked, only suggestions on what to look into, and if applicable, share my own though-over experience.
I experimented with many variations of fruit-based diets, read substantial amount of articles about nutrition, health and environment from reliable sources, and had a long time to think about ethical choices and their implementations. I can offer my insight in those areas.
The Site Fruitarians.net
The site you see now is relaunched, using a different framework in OO PHP - the one I have tested in other projects and programmed for, a much more reliable one than the previous.
I have these publishing plans for the site, and yours are very welcome:
- Stories of many people about their efforts, with links to their profiles and resources;
- Articles on ethics, environment, and nutrition, hopefully by multiple authors;
- In-depth interviews, in writing or video;
- Collection of links to the relevant reliable or influential sources with excerpts and commentary;
- Answers to relevant questions, hopefully by several knowledgeable people to each.
I have published analytical articles in the past that had some impact, but it looks like people prefer to receive information visually and by listening.
The Facebook Page Fruitarian's
My page fb.me/fruitarians and other communities earned thousands of supporters by providing short relevant reports from reliable sources (e.g. pear-reviewed scientific publications) and answering questions.
I created the page in 2009 or 2008, to indicate that I am a fruitarian. There were no other pages about fruitarianism on facebook at that time.
Facebook wants to be paid by page owners for including of each of their posts into the feeds of the page subscribers, and in the last couple of years I watched my page been practically silenced. After one of their changes, the average number of people reached went from thousands to under a hundred, and I was spammed with "boost for $5" and "promote" buttons and ads. I might pay for some of the key posts in the future, I do not know yet how effective it will be (I ignore payed posts myself).
The YouTube Channels
I have two channels dedicated to vegan fruitarianism on Youtube:
- Fruitarian Lena youtube.com/FruitarianLena - my old main personal channel with 80+ subscribers and ~14K views.
- Fruitarians.net youtube.com/FruitariansNet - a channel I made to publish a documentary film on fruitarianism (my largest long-term goal).
For the first channel I plan to make short public videos on these topics in playlists:
- "Vegan Fruitarian Reality" - series: talking about realistic approach to ethical lifestyle choices, and analysing specific experiences and methods.
- "Fruitarian Frustration" series: addressing difficulties of maintaining a diet based on fresh fruit, philosophical questions, and possible psychological issues (social life, relationships, etc.).
- "Live (on YouNow) with Fruitarian Lena" - sessions of live broadcast, featuring guests and answering questions from the audience. This is my first improvised test live session with a small audience (6-8 people) on the hashtag #vegan on September 22, 2016.
Voting and commenting on this channel are enabled, and the statistics are made public. I set up a support button as well.
Patreon Page Fruitarians
Very recently, I learnt about Patreon.com - a platform for supporting independent creators, and have prepared a page patreon.com/Fruitarians, which I will launch as soon as I finish it, and maybe add an introduction video.
If you support me on Patreon or with Youtube support button, I will be deeply grateful and will do my best in the time I am able to dedicate to this tasks weekly.
Thank you very much for your interest!
- Written by Lena
- Category: Network
- Hits: 34